What a long, busy day

1 / 2 / 2013

Well today, My Dad returned back from the hospital a bit earlier than I expected. Apparently all they did was take blood samples, checked his heart, then told him to make an appointment for 6 weeks time. They didn’t give him any info like my dad was sort of expecting, but maybes they need to run their own tests to see how things lie at the moment, rather than take another hospitals word for things. I’m not sure. BUT, one thing they did say, is that a couple of the cancerous growths, have increased in size. They didn’t say by how much though. The other thing they spoke about was one thing we knew about, but with it getting nearer is a bit concerning. The purpose of my Dad going to this specialist hospital ward, is so they can test brand new treatments on him. Treatments, that have been tested on animals so far, but not on humans, so they cannot say what the side effects will be. The good side, if there a good side, is that my Dad, getting this treatment(s) will possibly help prolong things but also help cancer research. My Dad is, as normal, putting on a brave face about things.

Once I got to his house, so we could spend a bit of time catching up and chatting, we went for a coffee at the local Costa Coffee shop. I think I must be drinking too much coffee as they are starting to recognise me in there now. I surprised them today when I changed my normal order. Anyway, I digress, the main reason for going for a coffee was so that it took my Dad’s mind off any worries he may of had from the hospital. I managed to steer the subject onto one of his favourites, trains. My Dad worked on the railways before I was born and has loads, I mean loads, of stories to tell about his time there. He could go on for hours if you let him, which I was quite happy to do. We did, touch briefly on the visit to hospital as well. He didn’t come across as worried, which is good. Mind you, like I say, puts on a brave face.

Once we got back to the house, I got on with making a couple of phone calls to companies to check what was live with them, with regards to my Mam’s accounts. As expected, and totally acceptable, I have to send in a copy of the death certificate with covering letter etc to one of them and complete forms for the other.

After that, I set about clearing a space on the table in my Dad’s dining room. If you remember from a previous post, that that room is used mainly for storing things. Anyway, I cleared a space and set about starting to battle against the mountain of paperwork in my Mam’s name. I have never seen so much junk mail in my life. My Mam must of entered every competition going with every company and charity that exists. It took 3 hours just to go through on small cupboard in a sideboard. I am rapidly filling a bin liner with stuff to shred.

After I got home, I got our electric shredder out of our loft. Now this really pissed me off. A year or so ago, we got our loft re-insulated through our local council. Since then it has become evident that the company who redid our loft on behalf of the council, kindly covered over the air vents in the loft, so everything is now soaking. All cardboard boxes are basically turning into paper mache. Now, the shredder I go out of the loft is possibly ruined by water. The collection bin on the shredder has a pool in the bottom of it, and the main shredding unit and plug we sitting in the water. I am desperately trying to dry it all out in the hope I can use it, otherwise, I may have to buy a new one, to use at my Dad’s, as well as home. Fingers crossed. We will eventually, at some point, get round to emptying the loft, and believe me, that will take a day, just in itself, just so that I can get up there and clear the vents. I’m sure at some point, I will drop the local council a line, thanking them in not so many ways.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.